Why aren't you using D at work?

Dan Olson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun May 31 23:50:46 PDT 2015

"Joakim" <dlang at joakim.fea.st> writes:

> On Thursday, 28 May 2015 at 14:38:51 UTC, Manu wrote:
>> I often wonder if others share the importance of mobile
>> cross-compilers?
>
> I wonder that sometimes too, considering it's only two people working
> on them.
>
>> They seem to be getting lots of love recently, which is very
>> exciting!
>> I'd like to encourage those working on the Android/iOS toolchains to
>> publish regular binary builds of the toolchains so we with little
>> allocated working time can grab the latest toolchains and try our
>> stuff from time to time.
>
> I can't speak for Dan, who's been getting iOS working, but I just got
> Android/ARM running a week ago, so it's too early to put out builds.
> However, it wouldn't take much time to try out the Android/x86 support
> from source, since the build process is documented on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Build_DMD_for_Android

And for iOS - https://github.com/smolt/ldc-iphone-dev

I was hoping others would try out this ldc for iOS and give feedback,
suggest where to focus next, but nothing so far.  It does pretty well if
all you need is to compile D code but don't need Objective-C interop or
nice Xcode interaction.

Would putting up a binary build help?  I can do that.

In meantime I have been getting ready for upcoming LDC 0.16.0 with dmd
frontend 2.067.  Also coming soon is support of iOS sim in addition to
existing arm support.  Latest Xcode 6.3.1 apparently fixed something
because now D dwarf debug kind of works.  Xcode crashes sometimes while
navigating the stack, but way better than thumb instruction level
debugging.