Under 1000 opened bugs for Phobos

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 4 07:14:25 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 at 23:06:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 at 19:42:58 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>

>> I wrote this: http://wiki.dlang.org/Starting_as_a_Contributor,
>> is it what you need it to be? -- Andrei
>
> "Then, github detects the new code and offers assistance to
> create a pull request with just a couple of clicks."
>
> The problem is when your own branch is a few weeks/months old.
> Then you have to do some upstream/update etc. magic. It
> happened to me once or twice. It put me off a bit, although I
> only fixed typos and trivial stuff like that.
>
> It's not D, it's git(hub) that makes things complicated. It'd
> be good if you could just update your own branch on github
> (refork it or whatever) and then clone it onto your own
> machine. But it's not that straight forward.
>
> PS Jeffery, the first steps are really easy. It doesn't take
> long to have a repo up and running on your own machine.

I might have missed a few details in the push command (writing
from my phone), but iirc git will explain what to do:

git clone <address of upstream>
cd <dest. folder>
git remote add <e.g. personal> <address of your fork>
git checkout -b <branch name for feature>
<your changes here>
git push <e.g. personal>

Then make a pull request on github

To get master up to date:
git checkout master
git pull

Then make a new branch as before.

Using your own master doesn't really make sense unless your
actually trying to publically fork the project. Just treat your
github fork as a collection of personal branches that live at a
different URL, which is easily managed with git remotes.