Chrome OS folding into Android, Android coming to laptops

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 4 23:01:24 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 4 November 2015 at 23:15:32 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 at 13:40:52 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 at 09:06:57 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>> Android and iOS are gunning for laptops next
>>
>> Reincarnation of eeePC?
>
> Without the user control. I wouldn't buy such a machine...

I cannot think of devices that have more potential user control
than Android and ChromeOS.  Companies like Sony advertise easy
unlocking of their bootloader to run your own custom Android ROM,
on which you can do almost anything you want:

http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader/unlock-yourboot-loader/

Of course, you don't get the control of a linux distro right out
of the box, but almost nobody is selling such a device right out
of the box.  That may be what you want, but almost nobody else
does.