I have this game engine...

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 5 05:42:52 PST 2015

Am Thu, 5 Nov 2015 21:59:39 +1000
schrieb Manu via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>:

> On 5 November 2015 at 21:37, Manu <turkeyman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5 November 2015 at 06:31, Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d
> > <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've also uploaded initial toolchain builds here (untested):
> >> ftp://ftp.gdcproject.org/binaries/devkitpro/
> >
> > Awesome, downloading now...
>
> I see these archives are minimal, only the gdc binaries, but there is
> also a gcc binary... why is that?
> The filesize is very different than the ones bundled in devkitPro; is
> it intended that arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe (and friends) overwrite the
> ones in the devkitPro distro?

That's the reason I still need to write a README ;-)
I'm not sure why the file size could be very different, I'll have a look
at that later.

But yes, the idea is to overwrite the *gcc.exe files. In theory it
doesn't really matter, but it's necessary to make the gcc command work
with d files (arm-none-eabi-gcc test.d). If you always use
arm-none-eabi-gdc you won't need to overwrite the gcc files.

IIRC such a setup (gcc/gdc from different builds, this setup is also
used in ArchLinux) can cause problems with LTO. As long as GDC doesn't
support LTO this doesn't matter.

We can always start shipping complete GCC toolchains but I'd like to
avoid building GDB and all the devkitARM utils (these have some
dependencies such as libusb which make building more difficult). So in
that case you'd have to overwrite many more files. Maybe I can make
full builds work as well, but this will also increase build times a lot.