embedded ARM support

Taylor Hillegeist via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 9 11:00:29 PST 2015

On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 10:14:17 UTC, Timo Sintonen wrote:
> On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 08:49:57 UTC, Andrey wrote:
>> On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 08:35:01 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>>> https://github.com/JinShil/D_Runtime_ARM_Cortex-M_study like
>>> this?
>>
>> Yes. But I mean the real supported library, with header files,
>> registers declarations and so on... That is realy low
>> instructions. It is good for experiments and self-affirmation,
>> but not usefull for daily work. It't not realy cool to declare
>> manualy all needed registers adresses and manualy manage
>> adresses for linker
>
> https://bitbucket.org/timosi/minlibd
> contains a modified runtime library and a toolset with a
> working example.
> It supports many D language features like object creation.
>
> There are some register definitions but it is far from complete.
> Suggestions and contributions are welcome.
>
> One thing why the project is going so slowly is the issue with
> accessing peripheral registers. The official D does not want to
> support register access directly, but only with library
> functions. In gdc it is possible with shared variables but this
> feature is unstable.
>
> There are some Cortex-m users hanging here but so far any big
> project has not been made.

Maybe I am wrong, But I believe that the low level community is
awaiting the release of GDC/LDC compatible with 2.067 DMD front
end. This will allow for volatile store/load. and hopefully begin
a new era of D micro programming. I'm sure this isn't the whole
story. but i get the feeling it is a major part of the minimal
micro-controller involvement.