Scientific computing in D

cym13 via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 9 11:45:58 PST 2015

On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 19:31:14 UTC, Márcio Martins wrote:
> I have been running some MCMC simulations in Python and it's
> hard to cope with how unbelievably slow it is.
> Takes me almost a minute to run a few hundred thousand samples
> on my laptop whereas I can run the same simulation with a
> million samples in under 100ms, on my phone with JavaScript on
> a browser.
>
> Then, you spend a minute waiting for the simulation to finish,
> to find out you had an error in your report code that would
> have been easily caught with static typing. So annoying...
>
> Is anyone doing similar stuff with D? Unfortunately, I couldn't
> find any plotting libraries nor MATLAB-like numerical/stats
> libs in dub.
>
> This seems like another area where D could easily pick up
> momentum with RDMD and perhaps an integration with Jupyter
> which is becoming very very popular.

I think you may like to have a look at
https://github.com/dscience-developers/dscience that is a
collective effort to give D tools for bioinformatics (mainly).
Also note that if you want you can just plug some python code in
using PyD https://github.com/ariovistus/pyd. A concrete example
can be found here:
http://d.readthedocs.org/en/latest/examples.html#plotting-with-matplotlib-python

Although, this video could be of some interest to you:
http://dconf.org/2015/talks/colvin.html