Rust's simple download script

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 10 08:56:49 PST 2015

On 11/10/15 7:50 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2015-11-10 00:07, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Rust has a nice way to download at
>> https://www.rust-lang.org/downloads.html for Posix:
>>
>> $ curl -sSf https://static.rust-lang.org/rustup.sh | sh -s --
>>
>> The method is simple and transparent. An optional --channel=beta or
>> --channel=nightly parameter chooses between a stable release (default),
>> beta, or nightly build.
>>
>> Should we do something similar?
>
> A bit long but this will install DVM [1] and the latest compiler:
>
> curl -L -o dvm
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/releases/download/v0.4.4/dvm-0.4.4-osx
> && chmod +x dvm && ./dvm install dvm && source ~/.dvm/scripts/dvm && dvm
> install -l
>
> And on Windows (with Power Shell) :
>
> powershell -Command "Invoke-WebRequest
> https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm/releases/download/v0.4.4/dvm-0.4.4-win.exe
> -OutFile dvm.exe" && dvm install dvm && dvm install -l
>
> Links to other platforms are available here [1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dvm

I've been using dvm, and do like it a lot. But I couple issues:

1. Every time I type dvm use, my path adds another directory. Couldn't
you just replace the existing dvm path?
2. Every incorrect command given to dvm results in a stack trace.

Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoy being able to switch/install compiler
versions on a whim.

-Steve