RFC in Comparison between Rust, D and Go

Marc Schütz via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 10 09:32:12 PST 2015

On Monday, 9 November 2015 at 21:01:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 11/09/2015 09:13 AM, Nordlöw wrote:
>> Yet another shallow language comparison that needs to be
>> corrected:
>>
>> https://www.quora.com/Which-language-has-the-brightest-future-in-replacement-of-C-between-D-Go-and-Rust-And-Why/answer/Matej-%C4%BDach?srid=itC4&share=1
>
> My response: https://goo.gl/VTEYFk -- Andrei

I agree with your assessments in general, though I'd like to
point out that your criticism of the heavy-weight type system is
a bit misguided. While it is indeed complex, its use cases are by
no means limited to memory management, or even resource
management in the narrow sense (i.e. when can a particular
resource be released). It's also used for safe sharing of
resources across threads without data races, for preventing
iteration invalidation (which means more than just avoiding
dangling pointers), as well as for many other ways to make the
compiler check certain aspects of a program's correctness. These
wide applications make the cost/benefit ratio considerably more
favourable.