RFC in Comparison between Rust, D and Go

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 10 11:25:30 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 10 November 2015 at 17:32:15 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
> resource be released). It's also used for safe sharing of
> resources across threads without data races, for preventing
> iteration invalidation (which means more than just avoiding
> dangling pointers), as well as for many other ways to make the
> compiler check certain aspects of a program's correctness.

I agree that there are many interesting aspects to these type
systems. IIRC Pony-lang also guarantee deadlock-free execution.
Go 1.6 is going to get a dedicated SSA optimizer and also a
memory sanitizer like C/C++, which might bring Go closer to C.

But C is really all about having full control over memory layout
and execution, it interfaces with just about any conceivable
language and compiles to an insane amount of hardware. None of
these other languages have that focus. Rust, Go and D are more
like high level languages primarily for PCs.

Although Rust is perhaps closest to C by having a lightweight
runtime.