RFC in Comparison between Rust, D and Go

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 11 03:12:13 PST 2015

Reddit summary in quotes:

«Is Andrei aware of Nim?»

«No mention of Julia?»

«I keep wondering whether or not Go is really misunderstood.»

«It doesn't look like Andrei understands Rust at all.»

«Rust also has this.»

«Great article that begs the question, what is holding back the
adoption of D?»

«The D standard library could do with a cleanup»

«The problem I always had with D was I could never quite figure
out how I'm supposed to use it. No particular idiomatic style
seems to implied by its feature set.»

«Idiomatic D programs allocate most of their memory on the stack,
just like Rust and C++.»

«if you're using C++ it's because you want predictable memory
management, which seems like only Rust is the other real
contender»

«I thought Clang had managed to get a working modules
implementation for C++»

«Right now C++ will get modules and then there will really be no
point to D.»

«C++17 will get "concepts" which is pretty good.»

«Wanting to be the replacement for C is a fool's errand. I
thought the whole reason for D was to be a replacement for C++»

«I think it's much harder for D to compete against today's crop
of standards-compliant C++11 compilers than it was a decade or so
ago.»

«I just don't see D gaining much ground in this department which
means it's going to end up as "just another language".»

«D's target today should be Python, Ruby programmers»

«a lot of D code I've written is very reminiscent of C++»

«He didn't really go deeply into the causes of poor adoption»