Our template emission strategy is broken

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 11 07:04:01 PST 2015

On 11/11/15 8:56 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 November 2015 at 13:47:27 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:
>> I think we should really fix these issues, working separate
>> compilation is very important.
>
> No, it's not. Separate compilation is C++-ishly slow by design (b/c all
> dependencies get imported over and over again, just like headers).
> We should endorse compiling small (rather independent) packages to
> static/shared libraries.

Yes, compiling package-at-a-time should be the mode endorsed by the core
community. Liran Zvibel and I discussed this privately following his
DConf 2015 talk, and I recall he mentioned the package-at-a-time solved
essentially all of their build problems.

It would be fantastic if somebody could write a wiki/dlang.org article
about this with details on how to do it and measurements. One prime
example is Phobos itself, for which conversion to package-at-a-time
build (http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mkvpgn$2fg3$2@digitalmars.com) has
led to dramatic improvements in memory consumed and build times
(https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3379).

Andrei