Our template emission strategy is broken

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 11 07:12:10 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 11 November 2015 at 15:04:01 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Yes, compiling package-at-a-time should be the mode endorsed by
> the core community. Liran Zvibel and I discussed this privately
> following his DConf 2015 talk, and I recall he mentioned the
> package-at-a-time solved essentially all of their build
> problems.

They must have encountered more since then since their build has
had a lot of difficulty. I tried to hack around the problems they
had using the various tricks I've accumulated (btw you can hit
several of these problems without necessarily having a huge
codebase, though reproducing them in a reduced test is extremely
difficult) and failed. They tried throwing more hardware at it
and that didn't work either with newer compiler versions. David
has been working on fixing the fundamental problems and surely,
if he succeeded completely already, he wouldn't have made these
posts.

We, as a community, need to start believing people when they say
they are having troubles instead of blaming the customer for
doing it wrong.