Our template emission strategy is broken

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 11 08:25:34 PST 2015

On 11/11/2015 08:08 AM, David Nadlinger wrote:
[snip]

Regarding the top-level issue. Walter and I agree it's an important
problem, and also that plugging holes as they start leaking (which is
what we've been doing so far) is not going to work well in the long haul.

A redesign of template instantiation is necessary, and Walter needs to
be fully involved in it. However, please give it time. Walter is
currently working full time on catching C++ exceptions from D code, and
as we all know the best way of getting many things done is to do one
thing at a given time and do it fully. It should take him at least two
weeks' time to get there.

This is a good time to collect cases known to be troublesome and to
discuss high-level approaches.

Thanks,

Andrei