Our template emission strategy is broken

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 11 11:51:20 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 11 November 2015 at 18:02:01 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 11/11/2015 12:13 PM, David Nadlinger wrote:
>> When was the last time you did "dmd -unittest -main $(find std
>> -name
>> '*.d')"? On current master, dmd takes just below 9 GiB to
>> complete the
>> build.
>
> "Then don't do that". Seriously, I agree reducing memory
> consumed is necessary but there are always extreme cases to
> construct.

Sure. Let me point out, though, that this very thread is about a
bug making that impossible. ;)

> There is agreement that a problem exists.

I'm glad that there is now.

> I recall last time you got really upset, you said something
> that was so incredibly offensive, Walter and I had to hold a
> pow-wow and decide to simply ignore it and just give you time
> to calm down.

I've had to do the same quite a few times with either of you.
What specific occasion are you thinking of? Maybe just call me
out on it right there, right then next time (even privately, if
you prefer so)?

> Agreed. Glad you're helping them out!

Well, part of the reason I wanted to make sure that this topic
makes it near the center of our collective attention again is
precisely that I won't be able to spend any more time (at least
no significant amount) working with them anytime soon. They are
doing some quite remarkable things with D, but unfortunately
their computers are not quantum enough for me.

  — David