Our template emission strategy is broken

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 13 05:35:28 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 11 November 2015 at 13:08:08 UTC, David Nadlinger
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Kenji and Walter have been working on improving the template
> emission strategy during the last couple of releases, i.e.
> whether a template instance is emitted to a given object file
> or not. Nevertheless, I've been continually hearing complaints
> from various people with large D code bases (our commercial
> users and some of the more complex open source projects) that
> they have problems compiling their code doing anything else
> than an all-at-once build.
>
> [...]

I've had problems compiling part of my code as a static library
and linking to a file that used a template mixin that in turn did
compile-time reflection. The mangling was different between the
two and I had linker errors. It was weird and frustrating, and I
had to go back to compiling all at once, which is slower.

Atila