Our template emission strategy is broken

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 13 05:38:49 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 11 November 2015 at 13:56:51 UTC, Martin Nowak
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 November 2015 at 13:47:27 UTC, Johannes Pfau
> wrote:
>> I think we should really fix these issues, working separate
>> compilation is very important.
>
> No, it's not. Separate compilation is C++-ishly slow by design
> (b/c all dependencies get imported over and over again, just
> like headers).
> We should endorse compiling small (rather independent) packages
> to static/shared libraries.

But compiling by package isn't slow by design. Also, it depends
on the modules you're compiling. If, like me, you have all your
unit tests in separate files from the implementation, it's faster
when only changing the test to recompile that one file and relink
than compiling the whole program again.

So... it depends.

Atila