Here's looking at you, kid

tsbockman via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 13 15:24:41 PST 2015

On Friday, 13 November 2015 at 22:34:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> Recently there's been an uptick of site visits on dlang.org and
> also dmd downloads (http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png).
>
> Amid increased scrutiny it's important to focus on improving
> documentation. I suggest everyone in the community to consider
> improving dlang.org in any way. For Phobos in particular, the
> lack of documentation and examples for some really useful
> artifacts is damaging. Sometimes all it takes is adding "///"
> to one unittest.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

I've lost count of how many threads I've seen in the past year
which run something like this:

A: D's C++ interop seems really weak based on this page:
     http://dlang.org/cpp_interface.html

B: That page is really out-of-date; support in the latest
compiler version is much better than that.

A: Is there somewhere else I can find up-to-date information?

B: No.

The last substantive update to
http://dlang.org/cpp_interface.html was in May 2014. I'm not
qualified to update it myself, but it is clear just from skimming
it that it is indeed very out-of-date. Among other things, this
bit:

     "...This means that the C++ STL, and C++ Boost, likely will
never be accessible from D."

Contradicts http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1 :

     "Smooth integration with C and C++ is an essential
competitive advantage of D. We aim to support significant C++
standard library interoperability by mid-2015 and full
interoperability on at least one platform by the end of 2015."