Here's looking at you, kid

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 13 16:47:50 PST 2015

On 14 November 2015 at 09:24, tsbockman via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 13 November 2015 at 22:34:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> Recently there's been an uptick of site visits on dlang.org and also dmd
>> downloads (http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png).
>>
>> Amid increased scrutiny it's important to focus on improving
>> documentation. I suggest everyone in the community to consider improving
>> dlang.org in any way. For Phobos in particular, the lack of documentation
>> and examples for some really useful artifacts is damaging. Sometimes all it
>> takes is adding "///" to one unittest.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andrei
>

> I've lost count of how many threads I've seen in the past year which run
> something like this:
>
> A: D's C++ interop seems really weak based on this page:
>     http://dlang.org/cpp_interface.html
>
> B: That page is really out-of-date; support in the latest compiler version
> is much better than that.
>
> A: Is there somewhere else I can find up-to-date information?
>
> B: No.
>
> The last substantive update to http://dlang.org/cpp_interface.html was in
> May 2014. I'm not qualified to update it myself, but it is clear just from
> skimming it that it is indeed very out-of-date. Among other things, this
> bit:
>
>     "...This means that the C++ STL, and C++ Boost, likely will never be
> accessible from D."
>
> Contradicts http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1 :
>
>     "Smooth integration with C and C++ is an essential competitive advantage
> of D. We aim to support significant C++ standard library interoperability by
> mid-2015 and full interoperability on at least one platform by the end of
> 2015."

Count me among them. I've been trying to do a lot of C++ interop
recently; referred to that page which didn't help, and then continued
mainly by trial and error.
I would really like to know the current state for my work, I just try
stuff and hope it works... (it usually doesn't, and I get a lot of
wild errors and ICE's)
I'd love to read a revised edition of that page! :)