Persistent list

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 14 12:42:26 PST 2015

On 11/14/2015 03:36 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Right, because e.g. whether the elements are reference counted or traced
> should totally completely change the required container semantics for
> the problem at hand! This does not make any sense, unless you are saying
> that nobody should actually use the persistent containers, in which case
> it seems like a waste of time to concentrate efforts on them.

I'm just as weary of persistent containers of mutable elements using GC.
It doesn't make a difference.

> You have not provided a technical argument, so I am going to assume you
> have an irrational fear of bad PR. Forcing transitive immutable on
> people who want persistent container semantics is ultimately a very poor
> choice both from a technical and a PR perspective.

The English language has a word I like a lot: "unassuming". I'm not sure
about its etymology, but a nice theory is "a person who doesn't assume
bad things about others".

I'm glad to hear about various pros and cons regarding these containers.
Slinging this kind of stuff is unlikely to further the dialog.

Andrei