Here's looking at you, kid

Saurabh Das via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 15 03:46:52 PST 2015

On Friday, 13 November 2015 at 22:34:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> Recently there's been an uptick of site visits on dlang.org and
> also dmd downloads (http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png).
>
> Amid increased scrutiny it's important to focus on improving
> documentation. I suggest everyone in the community to consider
> improving dlang.org in any way. For Phobos in particular, the
> lack of documentation and examples for some really useful
> artifacts is damaging. Sometimes all it takes is adding "///"
> to one unittest.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

This is slightly off-topic, but: I've been encouraging my friends
and colleagues to use Dlang over the last year and the one pain
point they constantly tell me about is that the documentation
website is "difficult to use" and "looks intimidating".

I believe that this is due to the colour scheme - it isn't
friendly or vibrant. For example, look at these documentation
websites:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/
https://docs.python.org/2/library/functions.html
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.8.1.0/docs/Control-Monad.html
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xfhwa508(v=vs.110).aspx

In particular, contrast the Dlang "Getting Started" page with
some others:

http://dlang.org/getstarted.html
https://www.python.org/about/gettingstarted/
https://www.djangoproject.com/start/
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html
https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/DevelopiOSAppsSwift/

The others do feel much more "complete" and "friendlier" that
dlang.org. I feel that the completeness part will be addressed by
the community but the intangible "friendlier" aspect is something
we are missing.

Unfortunately I'm not an expert in these matters either - just
bringing out what I've heard from multiple people about dlang.org.

Thanks,
Saurabh

PS: Point taken Andrei, I will find some time to contribute back
to the Dlang community, even if it's only documentation.