Here's looking at you, kid

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 15 06:27:47 PST 2015

On Sunday, 15 November 2015 at 13:50:36 UTC, Warwick wrote:
> The problem is you click on "Language Reference" and what you
> actually get is a "Language Specification".
>
> For example you click on "Modules" and you get this...

> Module:
>     ModuleDeclaration DeclDefs
>     DeclDefs
>
> DeclDefs:
>     DeclDef
>     DeclDef DeclDefs
>
> DeclDef:
>     AttributeSpecifier
>     Declaration
>     Constructor
>     Destructor
>     Postblit
>     Allocator
>     Deallocator
>     Invariant
>     UnitTest
>     AliasThis
>     StaticConstructor
>     StaticDestructor
>     SharedStaticConstructor
>     SharedStaticDestructor
>     ConditionalDeclaration
>     DebugSpecification
>     VersionSpecification
>     StaticAssert
>     TemplateDeclaration
>     TemplateMixinDeclaration
>     TemplateMixin
>     MixinDeclaration
>     ;
>
> Who is that a reference for? I mean what user needs that
> information in that format? Sure if your actually writing a D
> compiler yourself that is probably useful... but if your a user?

Honestly, I do think that that's useful as a user, but I'm also
familiar with how a compiler works and tend to look at a language
form a very technical perspective, whereas many others tend to
try and figure out the bare minimum to get stuff done and don't
care much about the details.

- Jonathan M Davis