Here's looking at you, kid

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 15 09:04:24 PST 2015

On Sunday, 15 November 2015 at 13:50:36 UTC, Warwick wrote:
> On Sunday, 15 November 2015 at 11:46:54 UTC, Saurabh Das wrote:
>> On Friday, 13 November 2015 at 22:34:18 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>

>>> Recently there's been an uptick of site visits on dlang.org
>>> and also dmd downloads
>>> (http://erdani.com/d/downloads.daily.png).
>>>
>>> Amid increased scrutiny it's important to focus on improving
>>> documentation. I suggest everyone in the community to
>>> consider improving dlang.org in any way. For Phobos in
>>> particular, the lack of documentation and examples for some
>>> really useful artifacts is damaging. Sometimes all it takes
>>> is adding "///" to one unittest.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> This is slightly off-topic, but: I've been encouraging my
>> friends and colleagues to use Dlang over the last year and the
>> one pain point they constantly tell me about is that the
>> documentation website is "difficult to use" and "looks
>> intimidating".
>
> The problem is you click on "Language Reference" and what you
> actually get is a "Language Specification".

This.

To make it worse, it's not just that you can easily get to the
spec when you want a tutorial; there's no halfway decent tutorial
aimed at online audiences, as far as I can tell.

Ali's book is good for people with the patience to go through a
book, but it's a bit heavy for browsing while online, and it's a
little buried. It's almost as easy to get to the Overview page,
which is basically an advertisement aimed at a technical manager
in a C++ shop circa 1992 and says more about C++ than D.