Persistent list

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 15 12:23:54 PST 2015

On Friday, 13 November 2015 at 23:10:04 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I created a simple persistent list with reference counting and
> custom allocation at http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/0981640c2835.

There is also another thing I wanted to mention on topic of
persistent containers. Right now for me the most intriguing topic
is trying to define immutable (and actually thread shared) cache
data structure than can be efficiently and safely used without
GC. There is whole class of tasks where you can get best
performance by building new copy of cache in memory instead of
modifying separate elements, trading increased memory
concsumption for fast no lock parallel access. However in absence
of GC task of deleting memory for older generations of cache
becomes rather challenging. I have been thinking about approach
with external two-level reference counting + dedicated allocator
- quick thread-local RC comes first and once it goes to 0, shared
RC in allocator gets decremented (being effetively user thread
counter). Do you think it can work?