Our template emission strategy is broken

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 16 13:23:54 PST 2015

On Monday, 16 November 2015 at 09:05:16 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Wed, 11 Nov 2015 14:23:15 +0000
> schrieb Martin Nowak <code at dawg.eu>:
>
>> Think of that for a moment, no package manager allows you to
>> have cycles in your dependencies.
>
> There are package managers that allow packages to mutually
> depend on each other. Order is established by qualifying the
> dependency similar to how you declare an owning and a weak
> reference in a parent/child pointer relation.

LOL. Yeah. I expect that 99+% of Linux boxes contain mutually
dependent packages. Circular dependencies make setting up Gentoo
that much more entertaining (e.g. IIRC, OpenSSL and Cyrus SASL
depend on each other normally). At least some dependencies can be
eliminated with binary packages, because they're only build
dependencies, but not all of them are that way, unfortunately.

- Jonathan M Davis