Here's looking at you, kid

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 18 23:00:42 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 19:22 +0100, Daniel Kozák via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> V Wed, 18 Nov 2015 17:21:50 +0000
> Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> napsáno:
>
> > On Sunday, 15 November 2015 at 19:02:08 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> > > flat for the first six months at least of 2016. I think I am
> > > more or less committed to rewriting Me TV (C++, but might
> > > consider D),
> >
> > What is "Me TV"?
> I hope it is this: https://launchpad.net/me-tv
>
> It has been my favorite app for watching DVB TV on linux

Sort of.

Me TV 1.x (x < 4) was a DVB-T (and other systems including the USA
variant, but I only have DVB-T) viewer with record capability. Me TV
2.x was to be a server-based media system, but enthusiasm of the sole
developer disappeared. Me TV 1.4 was a quick hack by various people,
but there is no activity on it.

I have forked 1.3.x (with agreement of the people who were keeping 1.4
alive) with a view to creating just a client. Keep it lightweight, all
the server stuff can be handled by other systems. This will eventually
be Me TV 3.x if I can get time to actually work on it. The workplan is:

	DVB-T v3 → DVB-T v5
	Gtk+v2 → Gtk+v3
	Xine → Gstreamer and VLC and Xine

I have feature branches beginning each of them, but it has been a bit
stalled for the last 6 months. For DVB-T v5 I am wondering whether to
rip out the current code and just depend on LinuxTV, but maybe not if
this is to work on OSX, UNIX and Windows (but there are already other
(better) players on those platforms). Switching to Gtk+v3 is turning
out tricker than first thought, code, unique, glade,…. Fedora has no
Xine and getting Gstreamer to do the right thing is proving tricker
than first anticipated; VLC not really working either.

Some of this code is still clearly C. I have tried to make all the C++
to be sensible C++14, however some is clearly not sensible, especially
the SQL stuff. And then there is the question of how much to start
shifting this from C++ to D (or Go or Rust, but I shouldn't mention
that here :-).

If there was interest in people helping out on this, even just a little
bit, it would be really helpful. Some of the old Me TV folk did some
work on this a few months ago, especially adding browser UI things.

I switched from Bazaar to Git so as to use GitHub, not because I think
Git is better than Bazaar (I much prefer Bazaar), but GitHub is
probably a better place to do collaboration these days. Launchpad is a
fine system and getting some serious work done on it, but Canonical see
it as a DevOps platform for rolling out Ubuntu, not as a project
development/collaboration system. So the Launchpad Me TV location
remains the headquarters (because the people still there asked for
that), but I have set up:

https://github.com/Me-TV/Me-TV

as the "my fork" mainline, with my fork of that being:

https://github.com/russel/Me-TV

If this could be made a minor "poster child" for C++ → D conversion, I
would be very happy. But this really requires more than just me working
on it. Currently I am intending to persevere with C++14 even though I
would like to use D.

Currently the build is ancient Autotools for Anjuta users, and SCons
because I work on the SCons project (D tooling mostly, but also Python
3). Sadly though CLion only allows for CMake so I think I will have to
make a CMake build. Crucially though no Dub.

The issue on the last point is that Me TV 1.3.7 is packaged for Debian
but may be dropped :-( Fedora has already dropped Me TV. The build
system used must be acceptable to Debian and Fedora so that Me TV 3.x
can be packaged by them. They will not use Dub. They tend to insist on
Autotools, but will allow SCons or CMake.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk