Here's looking at you, kid

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 20 10:11:39 PST 2015

On Friday, 20 November 2015 at 17:57:06 UTC, Chris wrote:

>> It seems clear that there are a variety of different types of
>> people who would want to learn the language. Maybe split up
>> the Getting Started page to a few sections, like "new
>> programmers", "intermediate programmers", "expert programmers".
>
> IMO, it's not a good idea to classify people like that, because
> even a beginner might need advanced stuff and they might ignore
> the "advanced" section. Also, people might rate themselves as
> "intermediate" while they actually do pretty advanced stuff.
> Let's order by topic. It should come up when someone types
> "dlang set up socket", and so on.

One important thing is to direct people to the right library
modules. This is something that really confuses people.
std.algorithm covers a lot of stuff that people would expect
elsewhere. I think std.string already tells people to go to
std.algorithm, but an overview would be nice.

Strings

std.string, std.algorithm (std.ascii etc) with a short
explanation.

Arrays

etc.

Basically a "Get sh*t done" page.