Pattern Based Design

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 21 05:52:25 PST 2015

On Friday, 20 November 2015 at 15:11:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
> Defining interfaces gets you only so far. As a program grows,
> you have to change many things and redefine the interface
> later. What looks like a good plan/interface when you set out,
> invariably will have to be revised and changed later. This is
> the reality of programming. No matter what they tell you about
> planning your program beforehand, it changes later anyway,
> sometimes even drastically. If anyone has the perfect plan,
> please let me know.

That is usually true, but that means that the desire to mutate
the codebase is a challenge when moving away form textual
representation. So creating more structured tools is quite
demanding. That was my point.

For dataflow I think it often is just as easy to do it visually,
but therein is the key issue you need a variety of
representations depending on how you mutate your code, whereas
with plain text you can do with just one representation.