Scott Meyers wants to bring default zero-initialization to C++, mentions TDPL for precedent

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Nov 21 23:36:52 PST 2015

On 11/21/2015 3:32 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> Rather than having an aristocratic attitude toward these languages that we
> perceive as badly designed, we should be really asking ourselves the question
> "what did they get right ? Can we get it right too ?". Because we have signal
> here, that is telling us this thing really matter.

15 years ago, everyone loved to bash BASIC as a terrible language. I did too.
But then I was looking at some Visual Basic code for a friend, and noticed
something I had forgotten - it was really easy to manipulate strings. I was used
to the horrible way of dealing with strings in C. I resolved that D had to have
strings as nice as BASICs, and pretty much succeeded.