Scott Meyers wants to bring default zero-initialization to C++, mentions TDPL for precedent

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 22 11:14:12 PST 2015

On Friday, 20 November 2015 at 22:12:13 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
> On Friday, 20 November 2015 at 22:01:58 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> D is not in that league.
>
> Doesn't matter? It is clear you shit on things you don't
> understand. That makes you sound like an idiot to these who
> understand.

Thanks for the compliments. The reason why PHP and JS took off
have nothing to do with quality. JS was called Javascript,
because Java was on the rise in those days. A deal was made to
promote JS along with Java. JS is so successful, because there
simply was no other option for a long time. This has nothing to
do with tutorials or the quality of the language.

Now, it is relatively easy to do things with JS and PHP which
attracted a huge crowd of hobby HTML developers and also
professionals took to it too, because they could get things done
quickly and make their clients happy, "Look ma, the box changes
its background color!" - and could charge their clients a sh*it
load of money for relatively simple things (we're talking late
90ies to early 2000s). I know this for a fact, because I had to
deal with web developers who fleeced the company I was working
for big time (e.g. for changing a line of code in the JS). This
also means that a lot of people who use JS and PHP are not really
into programming, it's just a convenient way for them to develop
homepages and web apps, which is fine.

D on the other hand is a completely different beast. D was meant
to be a full fledged multi-purpose programming language. To
compare D to PHP or JS is mixing apples and oranges. It makes no
sense whatsoever to compare them. D cannot "compete" with JS or
PHP, because they are completely different things.

This is why I say we should stop demanding that D be as
'successful' as PHP and JS. It is misleading and doesn't help D
in any way.

By the way, a lot of people regret later that they've chosen PHP.
PHP an JS offer instant gratification but give you a terrible
headache later (like a cheap street drug!). D cannot offer
instant gratification and we should not aim to appeal to people
who want or need (web developers) instant gratification. It just
won't work. This is not being elitist, it's being realistic.