Swift is coming, Swift is coming

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 02:06:13 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 24 November 2015 at 17:59:35 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> A Wired article about Swift coming to the server, particularly
> after the imminent open-sourcing, that also mentions D as an
> alternative, especially since it's written by the same guy who
> wrote about D for Wired last year:
>
> http://www.wired.com/2015/11/apples-swift-ios-programming-language-is-being-remade-for-data-centers/
>
> Will be interesting to see how Swift does, a good natural
> experiment for those pushing D to focus on one niche before
> expanding, as Swift is doing really well on one of the most
> important development platforms today, iOS, before expanding
> onto the server.  Of course, Apple is unlikely to really push
> it on the server, other than open-sourcing and accepting
> patches, so they have a built-in excuse if it doesn't do well.
> ;)

I don't know Swift well enough to comment on its features or
merits, but it is naturally a success on iOS, because loads of
people develop for iOS and sooner or later Apple's new favorite
child will get everybody's attention. Server side, hm, I don't
know. Will it run on Linux? How common are Apple servers? As far
as I know, most server systems are Linux/Unix or Windows. That
would make Swift a niche language on niche servers, wouldn't it :)

It's nice, though, that D was mentioned in an Apple related
article.