I hate new DUB config format

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 02:28:39 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:17:02 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> I think that using SDL format was big mistake. Not only I do
> not want to spend time in learning yet another dead config
> format that now use only one project -- DUB. In time when DUB
> used json it was not perfect, but at last it was standard and
> everybody can read it.
>
> Now when I come to code.dlang.org I can't simply do copy-past
> of dependence. I need go to docs page, and read how to include
> it.
>
> Also I do not see any projects that are migrate to SDL.
> Everybody continue to use JSON. So please, return JSON back as
> default, or very soon we will see that nobody do not submit
> packages to code.dlang.org and nobody do not use DUB for their
> own projects.
>
> Please vote about SDL config format
> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=565587f4e4b0b3955a59fb67
>
> If SDL will stay by default I will prefer to move to any other
> build system or will downgrade to old version of DUB.

 From what I've read, the JSON format will always be supported, so
there's no need to switch to SDLang if you don't want to. Just
keep using what you're comfortable with.

Personally, I find the SDLang format much cleaner to use than
JSON. I learned everything I needed to know about it in 15
minutes. It's not rocket science. If you can understand the JSON
format, you can understand SDLang. Any time I start a new project
with DUB I use SDLang instead of JSON. I haven't switched the
Derelict packages over to SDL because there's no real reason to
do so, since JSON will always be supported. But if I add any new
Derelict packages, they will use the new format instead.