I hate new DUB config format

Chris via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 04:21:04 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 12:13:39 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 26/11/15 1:08 AM, Chris wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 11:57:30 UTC, Rikki
>> Cattermole wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with you on all points, the best part is YAML is
>>> pretty
>>> standard now for Java. So lots and lots of familiarity there.
>>>
>>> But at the end of the day. It was decided to go with SDL,
>>> even with
>>> its spec being incomplete and hardly anybody uses it.
>>
>> On what grounds?
>
> I've forgotten. But its in the N.G. and on Github.
>
>>> So for the time being, I just use JSON as a form of protest.
>>> After all, just because I don't like it, doesn't mean it
>>> should effect
>>> other people. Unless of course the decision is made to drop
>>> json. Then
>>> oh boy competition time!
>>
>> Why was SDL agreed upon when it's a niche thing? Wouldn't it
>> make more
>> sense to have JSON that allows comments? Comments are
>> something that's
>> really missing in JSON. (Does SDL have them though?).
>>
>> It'd be good to have a conversion tool JSON <=> SDL.
>
> They looked at a lot of different options.
> And yes SDL does have things like comments.
>
> But it really doesn't matter now. This is the path that was
> chosen.
> Either put up with it or code.

I don't really mind. I already used SDL in a new test project and
it has basically the same logic as JSON. The only thing I'd
really like to have is an automatic converter JSON <=> SDL. In
this way, I could port my old projects to SDL (and back again, if
for some reason I have to).