I hate new DUB config format

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 08:22:58 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:17:02 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> I think that using SDL format was big mistake. Not only I do
> not want to spend time in learning yet another dead config
> format that now use only one project -- DUB. In time when DUB
> used json it was not perfect, but at last it was standard and
> everybody can read it.
>
> Now when I come to code.dlang.org I can't simply do copy-past
> of dependence. I need go to docs page, and read how to include
> it.
>
> Also I do not see any projects that are migrate to SDL.
> Everybody continue to use JSON. So please, return JSON back as
> default, or very soon we will see that nobody do not submit
> packages to code.dlang.org and nobody do not use DUB for their
> own projects.
>
> Please vote about SDL config format
> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=565587f4e4b0b3955a59fb67
>
> If SDL will stay by default I will prefer to move to any other
> build system or will downgrade to old version of DUB.

I say the bikeshed should be painted red! ;)

Seriously, it's a simple config format, who cares.  SDL looks
just fine to me.

It would be nice if there was a converter that would translate
all the config files from one format to the other and people like
you could just set an option to have all your dub configs shown
to you as json files.  You'd lose the comments, but you don't
care for them anyway.

Converters like these would banish all these bikeshed arguments
about code formatting or config formats, but what would we argue
about then?  We'd have to start debating religion or politics. :)