Swift is coming, Swift is coming

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 08:40:34 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 16:17:45 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 16:02:18 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Server Swift might really end up as a niche within a niche.
>>
>> Or it might end up becoming really popular, as a compiled,
>> modern language that can be used on mobile and the server.
>>
>> I don't really care how Swift does or follow it, but it will
>> be competition for D, as it has generics, unlike Go, and
>> doesn't have Rust's unfamiliar syntax or stringent emphasis on
>> memory safety.  It's an up-and-coming competitor for D people
>> to watch out for.
>
> With Apple behind it, it might become popular, but not
> necessarily in the OSS community. What if Apple started to make
> their own Apple specific extensions that are not open sourced
> and have to be backengineered on Linux. Then Swift would end up
> like OpenStep, wouldn't it?

I don't see Apple doing all that stuff nowadays.  This move to
open-source Swift and port it to linux seems driven by the llvm
devs, I doubt the company really cares.  Apple open-sourced their
ARM64 backend for llvm last year, despite it being better than
the incomplete OSS backend being worked on in llvm and providing
a competitive advantage for their 64-bit ARM devices, so that I
can now use it for Android too.  Of course, there are a _lot_
less Android/Aarch64 devices than iOS.

Apple really had no incentive to do that from a competitive
standpoint, other than maybe the llvm devs at Apple not wanting
to maintain two Aarch64 backends.  Yet, they did it anyway.  I
don't think they really care about keeping Swift to themselves
when they're the largest company on the planet and are minting
$53 billion in profits a year!  For context, that's only $15
billion less than google's entire revenue over the last year, ie
their profits alone are almost all much as all the money google
brought in.

I don't think they're sitting around thinking about how to make a
couple million off Swift. ;)