I hate new DUB config format

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 11:02:19 PST 2015

> The files are very short, and you don't have to deal with them much.

That makes for an even less of a case for inventing a new file format. I suppose
it's water under the bridge, though.

I've written a lot of parsers for various niche file formats. I have come to
realize that this is an utter waste of time, when there's an off-the-shelf
format that can be pressed into service.

With a standard json parser in Phobos, zip zap boom you're done. You don't have
to design it, argue about it, build it, document it, debug it, test it, optimize
it, explain it, deal with bug requests, deal with enhancement requests, deal
with legacy compatibility, build a converter, etc. It's a huge win.

Note 1: json does support comments:

     "comment" : "this is a comment",

Note 2: I intend to migrate the dmd.conf file format to json.