Swift is coming, Swift is coming

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 11:27:11 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 16:02:18 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:38:52 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:24:14 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>>>

> I don't really care how Swift does or follow it, but it will be
> competition for D, as it has generics, unlike Go, and doesn't
> have Rust's unfamiliar syntax or stringent emphasis on memory
> safety.  It's an up-and-coming competitor for D people to watch
> out for.

Given that .NET now is being available on UNIX, with .NET Native
support already announced at the recent Connect() event and
features from System C# (Midori OS) are planned to be made
available in C# 7.

As example of planned C# 7 features, that D already enjoys:

- ref types on local scope and as return values
- slices
- more are being evaluated

Similarly Java with the upcoming value types, new FFI and AOT
compiler on the reference JDK.

I would advise not to look only at Swift.

--
Paulo