I hate new DUB config format

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 12:24:36 PST 2015

On 11/25/2015 03:06 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 19:25:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> As Walter said a few times by now, inventing new languages is an
>> endeavor of high fixed cost for everyone involved (including users)
>> and shouldn't be done casually.
>>
>> Please don't reply to this. Just throw SDL away and use JSON. Please
>> don't waste time discussing it.
>
> While I agree with you, we shouldn't become the Go community either.
> Saying "let's not discuss this" seems very against the values of the D
> community.

That's right, but we're kind of in the other extreme of the spectrum so
a bit of pressure is in order.

FWIW I'm more curt and a bit less active in forums because I'm working
on the new containers library. Design by Introspection is beyond
exhilarating. If things are turning the way I hope, it will be the best
container library ever.

I need to trust our core contributors here to make the right high-level
decisions and execute them accurately when I'm not looking. Hence my
brief comment that inventing a new file format should not have happened
and must be now undone. If Walter or I were paying attention, that
wouldn't have been initiated in the first place. But we can't pay
attention to everything at all time. Please exercise good judgment and
focused execution at all times. If it offers no leverage, entails boring
work, requires a manual, or doesn't look good on the page - it's
probably wrong.

Feel free to email Walter and me if you need executive decisions (I have
a few in my queue, thanks to those who wrote). I answer all, just
slowly. If too slow, email me again.

Happy Thanksgiving to whom it applies!

Andrei