I hate new DUB config format

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 15:37:16 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 22:51:28 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 19:12:43 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> It's not. To DUB maintainers: this is a strategic error.
>> Please throw SDL away and use a standardized file format. --
>> Andrei
>
> And in what domain is json considered a standardized
> -configuration- file format?

I don't think that there's really _any_ format that qualifies as
a standardized configuration file format, but JSON is a
well-known, standardized format, whereas SDL really isn't. Plenty
of programmers will be familiar with JSON even if they aren't
familiar with what fields belong in a dub configuration file and
what goes in them, but pretty much no one is going to know SDL.
So, while SDL was not invented for dub, in terms of how
well-known it will be to those new to dub, it might as well have
been invented specifically for dub. With JSON, however, what will
be new to most folks is what fields and values go in the
configuration file, not the format that it's in.

So, from the standpoint of whether folks new to dub will have to
learn a new file format, JSON is clearly better than SDL, though
SDL may in fact be a better file format for a configuration file
if you know both.

- Jonathan M Davis