I hate new DUB config format

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 25 21:25:46 PST 2015

On 11/25/2015 11:29 PM, Mike Parker wrote:
> On Thursday, 26 November 2015 at 01:14:11 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 11/25/2015 12:39 PM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>>> To be fair, they _didn't_ invent a new format. They just picked one
>>> that's far
>>> less well-known than what they were using before.
>>
>> The energy poured into SDL would be more profitably directed towards
>> improving Phobos' json support.
>
> The energy has already been spent. It's already supported. Projects are
> already using it. This isn't something new.
>
> Regarding other comments in this thread, *JSON support is not going
> away.* If you prefer to use JSON, use it. There's no problem here.
>
> As for searchability, you'll find discussions in the vibe.d forums where
> people refer to it as SDLang now rather than SDL to avoid confusion with
> the game library. Type that into Google and you're golden. It's no
> different than encouraging people to search for DLang instead of D, so
> it's not a big deal.
>
> There are plenty of us who prefer to use SDLang over JSON for our config
> files. We do not want to see support for it taken away when there's no
> need for it. It's a much cleaner format, IMO, popular or not. Anyone who
> finds SDLang somehow abhorrent can just use JSON and move on.

This would be a lot more sensible if dub were not the official package
and build manager. The way I look at it, it's a manifestation of a
systemic problem: I can't work on dub and I can't monitor decisions
regarding it. Yet that doesn't make it less official. So I need to trust
other people to mind it in a way that is aligned in broad strokes with
my view. If I say "well but that's very unlike my view" and I get back
"some of us prefer it a different way and that's the way it is" then
that trust is affected. -- Andrei