I hate new DUB config format

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 26 00:47:40 PST 2015

Am 26.11.2015 um 06:25 schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu:

> This would be a lot more sensible if dub were not the official package
> and build manager. The way I look at it, it's a manifestation of a
> systemic problem: I can't work on dub and I can't monitor decisions
> regarding it. Yet that doesn't make it less official. So I need to trust
> other people to mind it in a way that is aligned in broad strokes with
> my view. If I say "well but that's very unlike my view" and I get back
> "some of us prefer it a different way and that's the way it is" then
> that trust is affected. -- Andrei

Let me remind you that confidence and especially trust is usually a
mutual thing. I don't want to join this discussion of personal matters
on a public forum, but I feel that I have to say that there have been
numerous occasions where it went the opposite direction.

Furthermore, just to give you a brief overview of history:

Mar. 09, 2013: First call for comments for a new package format
http://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.dub/thread/2/

May 24, 2013: Concrete DUB enhancement proposal (DEP)
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/wiki/DEP1

Jun. 12, 2013: Request for creating code.dlang.org

Sep. 26, 2013: Sub discussion about the choice of a JSON alternative in
the "dub: should we make it the de jure package manager for D?" thread,
started by you
http://forum.dlang.org/post/tuvtennjkvfnnyxmohzx@forum.dlang.org

Jun. 17, 2014: Opened a ticket for adding SDLang support (1.0.0 milestone)

Aug. 08, 2014: Initial implementation as a PR
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/pull/392

Sep. 22, 2014: Announcement of 0.9.22 and official status of DUB
http://forum.dlang.org/post/lvoqdv$2m78$1@digitalmars.com

Jun. 17, 2015: Announcement of the first beta version with SDLang support
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mlr7g5$ss1$1@digitalmars.com

Jul. 02, 2015: Announcement of the second beta
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mn47ih$2cp1$1@digitalmars.com

Jul. 13, 2015: Announcement of the first release candidate
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mo1gga$1dn5$1@digitalmars.com

Sep. 14, 2015: Announcement of the final release candidate
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mt6c09$2n33$1@digitalmars.com

Sep. 20, 2015: Announcement of the final release
http://forum.dlang.org/post/mtn1rd$2fa5$1@digitalmars.com

Nov. 25, 2015: This thread

As you can see, not only does all major work/discussions/decisions
pre-date the decisions and announcements for making DUB official, but
there have been plenty of occasions afterwards where you could have
noticed and commented the developments. I can understand that you don't
have time to join each discussion, but shouldn't you at least read the
announcements on D.announce? Should I contact you privately about each
decision? Even for those in the past? Or do you expect me to just know
what your opinion is?

The kind of surprised reaction to a stupid bikeshed thread (sorry, but
it really is), but no reaction at all to all earlier, much more
substantial, threads, just leaves me wondering.