I hate new DUB config format

B.Basile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 26 09:16:23 PST 2015

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 at 16:10:10 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> [...]
> The only valid reason for an IDE to directly parse the package
> description is basically if it wants to provide a custom UI for
> editing it. If the IDE is written in D, it can easily use DUB
> as a library and not only get the package description in a
> common format, but also nicely statically typed. If not, the
> conversion feature that was planned for the next version would
> trivially solve that, too.

No, there's also a problem of latency caused by dependency
checking (and if there are any). But that's actually linked: if
an IDE wants to make a UI editor for a DUB description it's
faster to parse directly the description...Maybe you'll remember
a brief discussion about this (at the end of summer when you
released latest DUB version, maybe in the NG discussion created
for the RC).

But that's a only personnal concern. Since SDL is not popular,
there is no SDL library for the language used to write the IDE,
so it sucks a bit...The day it'll become unsustainable I'll write
a SDL parser for this lang, but so far it only happend **once**
to find an online package that was in SDL and that I ve ignored
because I knew I couln't easily inspect the sources, modify them
or recompile.