I hate new DUB config format

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 27 08:48:23 PST 2015

On Friday, 27 November 2015 at 16:32:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
> DUB does matter, because it's the official package manager and
> is used by developers and will likely be used by newcomers too.
> It should offer as good a user experience as possible.

Yes, it isn't irrelevant and end users should of course express
where it cause them head aches it it does.

However, it does not affect adoption. I don't think high quality
libraries will be held back from publication over a config
format. Maybe some shitty ones with an uncertain lifespan (and
good riddance for that).

A config format is not difficult to replace or convert into
another format at a later stage, especially if it is hosted
centrally (just have a different request protocol for the new
format).

---

The real question is: how much money (time) can one afford to
spend on fringe activities and mutation when the core issues that
need attention are costly (time) to fix?

Priorities.

I've noticed that non-commercial Open Source projects often
appear to not understand that they have a limited implicit budget
(hours and goodwill).

C++, Go, Rust, Swift, TypeScript and Dart are all pretty
commercially driven projects. They can waste volunteer resources
without consequences.

The current D priorities seems to be:
- C++ exception handling
- More containers
- Config file format

Neither are likely to have a significant impact.