I hate new DUB config format

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 27 10:58:11 PST 2015

On Friday, 27 November 2015 at 18:27:57 UTC, Chris wrote:
> But JSON is widely used and chances are that people are already
> familiar with it. If not, it's easy to learn, there are loads
> of resources. 3rd party tools can easily parse it. And hey,
> it's not that bad.

Well, many are familiar with JSON, and I use it all the time, but
it is not a good or readable format. It is just something
browsers have builtin, that's the only thing it has going for it.

> XML is a lot worse as regards human readability.

I think not. It is all about familiarity and if the grammar has
been designed for it. I find my own XML _much_ more readable than
JSON. And much easier to eXtend.

If you use a decent XML editor and have a schema for the grammar
then you get a really nice generic editing solution with
auto-completion.

Here is one very real advantage of XML: the ability to embed
standard markup in descriptions and use one "container format"
for all future non-D data.

I think the animosity against XML is misguided.

But if XML is out, then YAML is a good expressive alternative
(that can be translated into XML, so you can use both if you want
to).

JSON is very limiting and not a future proof solution. People who
pick JSON for configuration, probably also pick Php for their
website. ;^)