I hate new DUB config format

Mathias Lang via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 27 11:41:01 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 10:17:02 UTC, Suliman wrote:
> I think that using SDL format was big mistake. Not only I do
> not want to spend time in learning yet another dead config
> format that now use only one project -- DUB. In time when DUB
> used json it was not perfect, but at last it was standard and
> everybody can read it.

I think the only mistake here (beside this whole thread) was that
SDL was made the default config format as soon as it was
introduced (@Sonke: .

What is the problem in having multiple formats as long as:
- they work together;
- they exhibit the same set of properties;
- you can easily convert from one to another;
- you are not forced to use one or the other;

ATM, it seems that only the third and possibly fourth points are
missing. IMO dub really needs a `.dubconfig` (a la .gitconfig)
for various thing, like default compiler to use, default format
to use in dub init, as well as default value for certain field
(I'm really tired of it using my username ;) ).

@Walter: Your comments on maintaining your own parser are
somewhat ironic, considering Sonke did write not one, but two
JSON parsers already, including one that has been under review
for months.

Overall, it's really disappointing to see the management
sometimes jumping the gun over a reddit/hackernews comment or a
post here, and totally dismissing days, weeks, or in this case,
years of progress.