I hate new DUB config format

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 27 14:25:15 PST 2015

On Friday, 27 November 2015 at 19:42:43 UTC, Chris wrote:
> At the end of the day, all markup, data exchange or description
> languages are not easy on the eye. It's a question of "which is
> worse", and that's often a question of personal taste.

Yes, syntax is rather personal! Some GNU people want Lisp as the
universal config format + scripting language (guile)... I
understand their motivation and reasoning, but I don't want it...
8-)

But technical merits and tooling is  a more objective criteria,
and right now XML and all the associated standards provides best
interop, ability to describe the content to non DUB tools on a
meta level, transforms, queries, etc.

> I'm sure that we would have a similar discussion, if we had
> YAML, XML, TOML or whatever. It doesn't really matter. But what
> does matter is that we use a well known standardized format.

Just define a canonical XML format for advanced use, which is
used internally and for interchange, then provide the common
stuff as easy-to-read YAML / JSON. That way 90% can use the easy
version, and all advanced or experimental
shoot-yourself-in-the-foot functionality is hidden from newbies.

The DUB tooling would just generate the XML from the newbie
format.

One can have it both ways. :)