I hate new DUB config format

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 27 18:11:13 PST 2015

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 at 08:47:41 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Mar. 09, 2013: First call for comments for a new package format
> http://forum.rejectedsoftware.com/groups/rejectedsoftware.dub/thread/2/
>
> May 24, 2013: Concrete DUB enhancement proposal (DEP)
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/wiki/DEP1
>
> Jun. 12, 2013: Request for creating code.dlang.org
>
> Sep. 26, 2013: Sub discussion about the choice of a JSON
> alternative in the "dub: should we make it the de jure package
> manager for D?" thread, started by you
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/tuvtennjkvfnnyxmohzx@forum.dlang.org
>
> Jun. 17, 2014: Opened a ticket for adding SDLang support (1.0.0
> milestone)
>
> Aug. 08, 2014: Initial implementation as a PR
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dub/pull/392
>
> Sep. 22, 2014: Announcement of 0.9.22 and official status of DUB
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/lvoqdv$2m78$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Jun. 17, 2015: Announcement of the first beta version with
> SDLang support
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mlr7g5$ss1$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Jul. 02, 2015: Announcement of the second beta
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mn47ih$2cp1$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Jul. 13, 2015: Announcement of the first release candidate
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mo1gga$1dn5$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Sep. 14, 2015: Announcement of the final release candidate
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mt6c09$2n33$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Sep. 20, 2015: Announcement of the final release
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mtn1rd$2fa5$1@digitalmars.com
>
> Nov. 25, 2015: This thread

This really puts things in perspective.

What I got from this thread is that the only things worth
worrying about are:

1. code.dlang.org presents dub configuration snippets in a format
that doesn't match dub's default configuration format

2. dub could use a way to specify the default configuration
format.

IMHO what would also be great is make the default dub.sdl larger,
with comments explaining options, and commented-out examples of
other common options. This should make trips to dub's package
format's and SDL's reference necessary much less often.