I hate new DUB config format

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 30 06:30:24 PST 2015

Am 27.11.2015 um 20:25 schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
> On 2015-11-27 08:55, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>
>> That would mean more work for everyone and consequently less adoption.
>
> How so? It's the same amount of commands, maybe one extra.

Granted, with a CLI it's not that bad. Although then you also have to
manage user credentials. So it just means a bit more to learn and
remember. That alone is not much, but it adds another bit to the barrier
of entry - something that may be irrelevant if the barrier is low
enough, but it may make a difference once things start to feel complicated.

>> Seriously, I think it's the best approach possible and really couldn't
>> imagine using a more manual system to the extend that I do now. But more
>> importantly, it would mean that we have a problem with cross-platform
>> packages. You can't expect everyone to be able to build for all
>> platforms. But if they don't, you can't know the dependencies or
>> whatever else for those other platforms, even if the code would in
>> theory compile fine.
>
> The packages don't need to contain compiled binaries. It could still be
> source distribution.

What I mean is that the script will have to be run for each target
platform just to know the final settings (e.g. dependencies) that it
generates.