I hate new DUB config format

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 30 10:50:46 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 22:52 +0000, Ola Fosheim Gr via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> What is the advantage of having it in an imperative language,
> though? Isn't a concurrent deductive language better and faster?

Project definitions should be declarative, definitely. Proejcts should
then have a default laying and naming scheme so that with convention
over configuration you need say nothing else. THis was the hope of
Maven and it chose XML. Then it became obvious that if you wanted even
a little non-standard behaviour you had to write you own Java coded
Maven plugin. So having a language which can offer a declarative DSL
and the ability to do a bit of imperative stuff if it is needed, you
get a good system. SCons and Gradle both do this: mostly declarative
with bits as needed.

> Then again, what is the point of every language inventing their
> own eco system as an island...

Because, progress.

OK so there is the pissing contest of "my language makes a better build
system than any other" so every language has to have its own build
system. (Even Go switched from make to go.) However in doing this there
is often forward progress in build. Maven beats Ant. SCons and CMake
beat Make. etc., etc.

In the end though Lisp is the one true language, so we should all just
write in Lisp.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk