Gradle, Mave, etc. [was I hate new DUB config format]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 30 10:56:47 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-11-29 at 22:38 +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> Only those that are required to use it for Android and suffer the
> pain of slow builds yet to be fixed as announced on Google IO
> 2015.
>
> I have seen zero projects move to it, otherwise.

On the other hand I have seen none stay with Ant or Maven given the
option of Gradle. Those that stayed were told they didn't have an
option – for no good technical reason, just management "don't touch
anything" attitude.

> All our customers are on Ant and Maven.

Maven I can sort of live with but only on double pay. Ant is beyond the
pale in 2015. It was a late 1990s hack due to Make hatred.

> Personally I don't see any value on Gradle, besides having more
> time to fetch coffee.

I see huge value in Gradle as a replacement for Maven (and Ant of
course). I have never seen the massive slow downs you intimate, for
projects I have seen with both Maven and Gradle builds, the Gradle
builds were a little slower, but the scripts were far, far easier to
maintain since al the imperative things were in the build scripts not
in additional Java plugins.

But this might be just a bikeshed issue. I have no intention of giving
up on Gradle and SCons, I am intransigent. :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk