Go, D, and the GC

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 1 02:40:05 PDT 2015

On 01/10/15 10:33 PM, Tourist wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I know that Go invested many time and resources in an implementation of
> a good GC. And they keep working on it, e.g.
> https://github.com/golang/proposal/blob/master/design/12800-sweep-free-alloc.md
>

> I also see that the implementation is licensed as BSD, as far as I see:
> https://github.com/golang/go/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> Question: is it possible to make a D compiler/runtime that uses Go's GC?
> Wouldn't it largely benefit D? I guess that I'm not the first one to
> think about it. Thoughts?

We could probably adapt Go's GC to D. But there may not be much point to it.

Go and D have very different architectures and styles. Because of this
the way data and hence memory is created and consumed is different.

Go's GC would have been optimized for Go's patterns and usage of it.
We could however read and learn from how it works. But again, we do have
some pretty innovate technologies here. They just don't reach druntime.
Which is a shame.